Many homeowners are interested in reducing their monthly electricity bill, but aren’t sure where to get started. You have a number of options, and yet, it can be as simple as changing the kind of lightbulbs used.
By replacing your traditional lighting with LED lights, you will save power and accomplish your goal of a lower electricity bill.
Let’s take a look at both kinds of lighting, the advantages of LED lights, and an explanation as to why they may be a better lighting option for your home or business.
What’s the Difference?
Before we dive into the advantages of LED lighting, it’s time to take a look at the differences between LED light bulbs and “traditional” lighting.
What Are LED Light Bulbs?
LED stands for light-emitting diode and is a semiconductor device that generates light through a process called electroluminescence. LED lights are long-lasting bulbs that typically do not burn out or fail, making them a great solution for both residential and commercial lighting.
What Is “Traditional” Lighting?
When we talk about traditional or “regular” light bulbs, we mean incandescent bulbs. This type of bulb has been around since Thomas Edison’s invention in 1879. As their name suggests, these bulbs work by incandescence, which is the emission of light caused by heating the filament.
LED vs Traditional Lighting
Now that we’ve explained how these two bulbs are different, let’s discuss six of the most commonly asked questions about the two:
- Which is more energy efficient? LED lights require much less energy to produce the same amount of brightness as incandescent light bulbs. In fact, LED bulbs use 75% less energy than incandescent lighting, which helps reduce your energy bills.
- Which bulb costs more? While LED lights cost more than incandescent lights to initially purchase, they have the ability to save energy and reduce your electric bill, which makes paying a higher price for the bulbs worth it in the long run.
- What is the average lifespan of the bulbs? LED lights can last anywhere from six to 12 years before you need to replace them, which is 40 times longer than an incandescent bulb. The fewer times you have to replace your bulbs, the less you have to spend on them overall.
- What are their dimming capabilities? LED lights perform well at any power percentage. In fact, they are most efficient when they’re not used at full power, making them a great option for you if you prefer to control your home’s lighting levels.
- Which one produces the most heat? Traditional lighting sources turn almost 90% of their energy consumption into heat, which leaves only about 10% of energy for light production. LED lights emit almost no heat, which allows them to produce more light.
- Can I utilize them for my business? Absolutely! Whether you’re looking to upgrade your home or business’s lighting solution, LEDs are a great choice. In fact, they’re great for lighting any parking lots you may oversee as well, since they use less energy, improve after-hours safety, and require less maintenance.
In terms of energy efficiency, overall cost, and lighting level preferences, LED bulbs are additionally the way to go for lighting your Southwest Florida home.
Ready To Install LED Lights?
If you’re looking to install new lights at your property, don’t hesitate to reach out to Southwest Florida Electric!
We have a number of services for your home and business, including:
- Commercial and residential light services
- Outdoor lighting repairs
- LED retrofits
- Floodlight repair
- Replacement bulbs and ballasts.
That, of course, is just to name a few of our services. No project is too big or too small, whether it’s a light fixture, adding dimmer switches, or installing a ceiling fan, we are happy to help.Contact us today!