Protect the Home with a Whole House Surge Protector
Summer is more than cookouts and spending time with friends and family. It’s also the peak time for thunderstorms, and with thunderstorms come power surges, which can wreak havoc on a home’s electrical system. They can also “fry” any devices plugged in, from video game consoles to computers.
Luckily, homeowners can do something to protect their homes: install a whole house surge protector. There are countless benefits to installing a whole-house power surge protector. In this blog, professional electricians share what homeowners should know about protecting their residences from power surges this summer.
Power Surges Are Dangerous
A power surge is when a sudden burst of energy overwhelms the home’s electrical system. Some dangers of power surges are:
- Electrical fires: Even a brief power surge can cause electrical fires, which can endanger homeowners’ safety and the safety of their homes. Electrical Safety Foundation International notes that there are 51,000 electrical fires yearly, and countless stem from power surges.
- Lost food: Power surges can permanently damage a home’s appliances, such as the refrigerator. In a matter of hours, milk, eggs, meat, and anything else in the refrigerator can go bad.
- Destroyed electrical devices: If a homeowner has their phone charging or another device plugged in when suddenly there’s a power surge, the device could stop working permanently if the home doesn’t have surge protection.
- Damaged power outlets: The home’s outlet may not work as expected after a power surge. They could even emit foul odors or smoke when in use. They can also threaten homeowner safety when plugging something in.
Power surges can also cause hidden damage to the home’s electrical grid, potentially contributing to problems in the future.
The Benefits of Whole-House Surge Protection
Some benefits of installing a whole-house surge protector include:
- Homeowners can protect their devices: This is a no-brainer. By having a whole-home surge protector in place, they can prevent surges from “frying” their devices. This means they can have their devices and appliances plugged in at all times with no concerns––even during thunderstorms.
- Homeowners can ensure their safety. Surge protectors reduce the likelihood of electrical fires, protecting the home and everyone in it. Remember: power surges cause thousands of electrical fires each year.
Perhaps the biggest benefit of installing a whole-home surge protector is peace of mind. Homeowners can rest assured that they and their devices will be safe with a whole-home surge protector during inclement weather events.
When Is It Time To Consider Whole-House Surge Protector Replacement?
Surge protectors generally last two to five years, depending on the specific make and model. However, homeowners should consider whole-house surge protector repair or replacement even sooner if their home frequently loses power.
Signs that it’s time to replace a surge protector include:
- The light on the surge protector no longer turns on.
- The home experiences frequent power outages.
- Lights flicker on and off during thunderstorms.
An electrician can evaluate a home’s surge protector and explain whether it needs replacement.
About Southwest Florida Electric Inc.
Southwest Florida Electric Inc. is a local family-owned and operated company that serves the residents of Fort Myers, FL, and the surrounding areas. They provide upfront pricing, financing, on-time arrival, and the latest technology. Call them today for whole-home surge protectors in Fort Myers, FL.