Common Signs of Electrical Wiring Problems at Home

Keep Homes Safe From Electrical Fire Hazards by Catching Faulty Wiring

Did you know that faulty electrical wiring is one of the leading causes of house fires in the US? According to the National Fire Protection Association, wiring and related equipment account for around 68% of home fires directly caused by electrical distribution and lighting equipment. This is a staggering number, especially because most electrical fires can be prevented with proper installation, use, and maintenance of a home’s electrical system. To prevent this, homeowners should watch out for the following signs of electrical wiring problems at home and have an electrician fix it. 

Blown Fuses and Tripped Breakers 

Occasionally, a circuit breaker trips, or a fuse is blown at home. It isn’t uncommon, especially when many devices are plugged into a single circuit. In fact, a blown fuse or a tripped circuit breaker is a good thing. It means that the safety measures designed to protect a home from sudden power surges or too much electrical demand work. 

However, it’s something else entirely when these incidents occur more frequently. Homeowners who notice that their breakers trip or fuses blow often should call a qualified electrician to inspect the electrical system, determine the problem, and fix any wiring issues that could be causing these issues.

Scorch Marks and Hot Outlets

outletsAnother sign of wiring problems that homeowners need to keep an eye out for is the presence of burn or scorch marks on an electrical outlet. Scorch marks could be the beginning of an electrical fire, especially if they feel that the outlet is also hot to the touch. 

Electrical outlets, in general, should not be hot even while in use, and any heat that comes from it could be a sign of faulty electrical wiring. This energy leak has the potential to heat up the wires and fry appliances. A more significant hazard is that it can also cause a fire. 

Strange Sounds and Burning Smells

smellHomeowners who notice a buzzing sound coming from their electrical outlets may be tempted to brush it off as the electrical hum of a working device or appliance. However, buzzing sounds from an outlet are worth a second thought. That buzzing sound could be caused by an electrical current that isn’t flowing properly and could be caused by faulty electrical wiring. 

Aside from buzzing sounds, another red flag to watch out for is the smell of burning plastic from electrical outlets. That burning smell is likely due to electrical wiring getting fried. In this case, the best thing to do is to unplug all appliances and contact an electrician immediately to correct the issue before it becomes a major concern that could spark an electrical fire.

About Southwest Florida Electric Inc.

Southwest Florida Electric Inc. is a family-owned and operated company serving Fort Myers and the surrounding areas since 2010. They offer upfront pricing, on-time arrival, and rigorously trained electrical technicians. Call them today for electrical wiring repair and replacement in Fort Myers, FL